Government Funding

Find out if you're eligible for local council funding


Government funding for home care

In order to find out if you’re eligible for local council funding, the council will first need to carry out a free care needs assessment to determine what kind of care and support you need. This will be followed by a financial assessment to see if you can afford to pay for the care and if you are entitled to any support from the council.

During the financial assessment, the council will look at your capital assets and may also factor in certain types of income.

Your capital assets might include:

  • savings
  • investments
  • any property you might own (If you will be receiving home care in your own home, the value should not be included in the calculations, but any other properties will be.)

Examples of income that may be included:

  • paid earnings
  • interest on your savings
  • private and/or State Pension
  • some benefits like Pension Credit, Attendance Allowance or the care component of Disability Living Allowance

As a quick reference, if you add up the value of your capital assets you will be able to use the table below to see if you may be eligible for funding.

paying for care

If you are entitled to support from your council, they can organise your care in different ways. They should talk to you about what will suit you. The council might:

  • arrange for an organisation like MiHomecare to provide you with care and support
  • give you money so that you can choose your home care provider yourself and services that you need. This is called a direct payment.

To find out the right contact details for your local council, please use the following link:

NHS continuing healthcare funding

NHS continuing healthcare is the name given to a package of care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals who are not in hospital but have complex ongoing healthcare needs.

If you are over 18 and have a complex medical condition care needs, you may be eligible for this funding.

You can find out more information about NHS continuing healthcare on the NHS choices website:

Other welfare benefits

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you’re aged between 16 and 64 and have a long-term health condition or disability that causes difficulties with activities related to ‘daily living’, you may be eligible to receive a personal independence payment. You’ll need an assessment to work out if you are eligible and the level of help you can get. For more information on PIPs, please visit:

Attendance allowance

You could get a weekly allowance to help with personal care if you’re physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over. For more information, please visit:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 and who has difficulties walking or needs more support due to a disability. For more information, please see:
You will need to apply for these types of benefits. Your social worker, Citizens Advice Bureau or other local charities can give you advice on benefits.